As you journey into peri-menopause and menopause, you will notice many changes throughout your body. The most prominent being the changes in overall skin health. As estrogen levels decrease, your skin becomes gradually thinner and more dull. Menopause takes a toll on our hormone levels, specifically leading to a decline in estrogen. These changes of estrogen and progesterone can cause various symptoms that can creep up or happens so quickly we wonder what the heck is going on. For some, our skin health can be alarming, with the drop of collagen levels leaving us with dull grey, crepey skin on both face and body; When this happens we lose the firmness and skin begins to sag and jowls and permanent lines start to appear.
Studies show that women lose 30% of collagen during the first 5 years of menopause. Now half of this can be cared for with good skincare products, but we need to be realistic as well in that this cannot be repaired through products alone.
Here are some tips to managing your perimenopausal or menopausal skin:
- Wear skincare everyday: Make sure to wear broad spectrum with 30SPF or higher. Apply to face, neck, hands which are areas that are quick to show signs of aging. Our Purely Tinted Moisturizer and Skincare Cover are both products that contain non-chemical sunscreen that provides protection from harmful rays. Use them on top of your sunscreen for coverage and added protection.
- Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize: Perimenopausal or menopausal skin needs a thirst quenching hydrating skincare routine that contains hydrating ingredients sich as hyaluronic acid, moringa oil, sunflower and/or avocado oil, … that deeply penetrate the skin and maintain moisture. Phytonutrients and Vitamin C will also plump skin and aid in collagen production. Omegas-6 acid found in sunflower seed oil will enhance the development of new skin cells, by stimulating cellular regeneration to promote elastin and collagen production. This is exactly why these ingredients are the star of thw show in our Plant Therapy Collection, a line of products specifically formulated to combat the impacts of menopause on the skin. Our Island Moisture Creme is the perfect moisturizer to top up the Plant Therapy serums as it not only deeply hydrates and nourishes the skin, but also removes dead skin cells and boosts cell turnover and collagen production.
- Don’t Tan in the Sun or Use Tanning Beds: I know we all look better with a sunkissed glow. But laying out in the sun for hours or exposing your skin to the harmful rays of tanning beds accelerates aging, causing age spots, blotchy skin, and can potentially even lead to skin cancer.
- Shop Smart: People often think the more expensive the more effective. This is not always the case. There are many affordable products in the aisles of your local Drugstores that have been more carefully formulated that high end products that are heavily advertised as clean. Make sure to be a conscious consumer, read labels, and do your research before using products that may contain harsh chemicals on your skin and hair.
- Give the product time to work. Sometimes when we don’t see immediate results, we jump ship. Give the product that you have just entered into your routine some time to work. Real results may take anywhere from 6 weeks up to 3 months to show.
It’s Important to remember that what worked for you in your 30s or 40s will not work for you in your 50s and 60s. Knowing the needs of your menopausal skin and what new ingredients your skin may need is very important in embracing the changes. Make sure to do your research and only put your trust into certified professionals that are looking out for your best interest. Above all, love this new stage in life and give your body and skin the attention it needs.
Additionally, you can consult with our founder LeiLani, a Certified Paramedical Makeup professional who is knowledgeable about many skin concerns including the impacts of menopause on the skin and can provide you with personalized recommendations and help you find suitable skincare and makeup products for your specific needs.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch.